Monday, February 17, 2014

New York Beauty Zip Pouch--Riley Blake Challenge

I finished up my little project for the MQG Riley Blake Challenge the other night.

 riley blake challenge nyb pouch 
I had been thinking about this idea for a little zip pouch for a while, and then realized the orange, yellow, and light blue challenge fabrics would work really well. I hand quilted it with orange, yellow, and aqua embroidery floss.

 riley blake pouch back 
The back is another one of the challenge fabrics. This one is quilted with gray perle cotton. I quilted it while we watched the opening ceremonies of the Olympics.

I made a big mistake when I was getting ready to assemble the bag, after the quilting was finished. I've made several zip pouches with machine quilting, and I always use my rotary cutter to trim the edges of the quilted pieces so they will be the same size. I didn't even think about it before I rotary cut some of the slightly crooked edges off the front piece for this bag... then I realized that cutting hand stitches is a bad idea. I ended up pulling out a couple inches from several rows of quilting, enough so I could tie a knot, and then requilting the areas I had needed to undo.

I'm glad I fixed it--the quilting stitches should all stay in place now--and I won't make that mistake again!


  1. I did the same thing with hand-stitching and trimming on my MQG nametag and wound up machining over all the edges to hold the quilting in place. I hope you are keeping this for yourself, it is really cute!

  2. This is adorable and I love all that hand quilting!

  3. This looks fantastic! I love how it turned out! I wondered what the NYB was going to be.


Thank you for stopping by and commenting! Comments are moderated and will show up after approval.